Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tucked Away

October-November, 2012

Since I had been able to tackle laying a sea of vinyl across the floor, I decided to spring for some commercial grade floor sealant and top coat. 3 coats of each went down with a mop to give the floor a hearty buffer against scuffs, oil, and water (Sit-Rep, Zep floor sealers blister if water sits on them, and go milky white). 

Aside from the stains from a few yard waste bags, I think the floor should be OK  my theory is that they trapped moisture against the floor before the coating had set.

I rigged up a fuel canister that hung from the hood support when the hood was up, chocked the wheels, and snugged some battery jumper cables onto the posts of the rather aging battery that lives under the hood. With the system primed I rolled it full choke and the Super Hurricane burbled to life, much to the chagrin of all the late model cars on my street who know they don't have a hope of lasting 50+ years

In low-range, I slipped the Borg Warner T-90 Top-Loader 3-Speed into reverse, gently letting out the clutch while applying a touch of throttle. The Willys eased it's way backwards up the driveway into my garage, where it looks even better, in my opinion. I began gutting the lumber out of the bed and stacking it between my wall studs to save room and improve R-value.

Now, the garage has come a long way in the past month or so, namely due to one massive addition in the form of 5 free garbage-find late 50's tube light units, all in perfect working order. This garage has taken on a late 50's early 60's appeal simply because it seems building supplies from that vintage seem to be remarkably inexpensive or even free. After several nights of wire running and puzzle solving, I had wired up the garage on 2 separate circuits, one for left and one for right. This allows me total control over where I need the light, but it's such an improvement from my old little incandescents that I find myself just flaring up the whole deal every time.

rough garage budget so far,  somewhere in the $300 range for everything. the flooring, although cheap, cost a lot in glue and sealant, thus the price jump. all lumber, lighting, wiring, etc was totally free save my labour.

I seem to be one restoration behind on the 'good shop' philosophy; this new revamped garage is going to be very serviceable indeed.